Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Embracing Obscurity- Chapter 8


(A few friends and I began reading this book together. After dropping it for over a year, I am endeavoring to finish it.  After reading a chapter, I am posting my comments, then giving my friends the opportunity to add their thoughts as well. If you would like to join us or simply find out more about the book, you can read about it here.)

Chapter 8: Embracing the Mystery
In this chapter, I didn’t find as many quotes that just jumped out at me.  Still, I found the theme of the chapter helpful.  Here are the things that stood out to me:
 
- The main point of the chapter is that when we embrace obscurity, it will cause us to be somewhat of a mystery to others.  We are called to consider our readiness for others to think of us as crazy or insane.
 
- I would like to add a caveat that the author did not address: just because I am different does not automatically mean I am right.  We are not to be different for being different’s sake.  We are to be different because God instructs us to do so.
 
- Also, I have heard or read statements from believers who seemed to take pride in the fact that others found their choices strange.  If we our choices make us mysterious to the world, but then we turn around and are proud about it- it defeats the purpose of embracing obscurity.
 
- “If our lifestyle doesn’t even raise the eyebrows of the world, what does that say about our devotion to the gospel?” (Page 128)
 
- In the section entitled “The Great Exchange,” the author listed things we may have to give up, but what we would gain by doing so.  I’ve included these headings so we could see them side to side.  (Of course, what we may give up is listed first, followed by what we would gain.)


  • Financial self-sufficiency – God-Dependency
  • Sway – Spiritual Power
  • Recognition – God’s Approval
  • A Dream – An Assurance
  • Leisure Time – Purposeful Time
  • Comfort - Suffering
  • Important Tasks – Kingdom Tasks
  • Being Known – Being Known (by God)

- At the end of the chapter, the author points out that if we fully embrace obscurity, the exchanges listed above are not going to be difficult for us.  However, our choices will affect our loved ones and may be much more difficult for them.

- I am challenged by Discussion Question #4: “Take an honest look at your life.  Does it look strange to those who don’t know Christ?  Or do you blend in with the world?”  (Page 144)
 
I've had my say, what say you?

Discussion on Chapter 7
Discussion on Chapter 9

No comments:

Post a Comment